Last night at Elland Road, Leeds United pulled one out of the bag with a stoppage time goal from striker Chris Wood clawing a draw from the jaws of a seemingly certain defeat..

The game was definitely end-to-end, with attack from one side turning into a probe from the other, but in reality Leeds struggled, albeit manfully, against a more dominant passing side in visitors Fulham.

The first quarter of the game set the tone for this struggle, with Fulham having 66.4% of the possession, attempting twice as many passes (173) than Leeds, with a high passing accuracy (91%) and registering five shots at goal. Leeds were being put to the sword, there was little doubt about that.

After this opening quarter, Leeds did come into the game a little more in the remainder of the opening half, managing to register four shots of their own, with one of these being on target. But, if points were awarded for first half performance then the volume passing of Fulham, coupled with high levels of passing accuracy and the ensuing nine shots at goal, including the ball hitting the post once, then the visitors more than won the opening half of the game.

In boxing parlance, it would have been judged a 10-8 round with Leeds having to take at least once standing count.

If the opening 45 was all about Fulham bossing things, the second-half was more of a shared affair in terms of what both teams got out of the game. Fulham had the better opening 22 minutes of the half, transferring their dominance from the first half to this part of the game. The Cottagers had 65.5% of the ball, kept up their high volume passing (175 attempts) and high accuracy (93%) which translated into eight shots at goal, with one on target a towering header from Matt Smith hitting the post.

It was in the final quarter of the game that things opened up, with Fulham’s goal finally sparking Leeds into some form of life.It was Tom Cairney who made the breakthrough in the game’s 77th minute with a great goal from distance.

In all fairness, after the Fuham goal it was all Leeds United as the Whites went in search of an equaliser roared on by the majority of the 21,000+ crowd. Possession-wise the tables were turned with a frantic Leeds having 64.7% of the ball in the final part of the game which translated into 90 pass attempts, in just 17 minutes, at 87% accuracy and four attempts at goal. To put things into perspective, those 90 pass attempts represented just over 24% of all Leeds United’s pass attempts in the whole of the game.

Still, with time drifting away, it looked like a lost cause for the Whites especiallywhen Chris Wood missed a far-post header granted to him courtesy of Marcus Antonsson’s doggedness on the ball, the Swede picking himself up off the ground and floating in a pin-point chipped ball.

However, fight to the end Leeds did and they got their just rewards when Kyle Bartley looped a header back goalwards in the 92nd minute for Chris Wood to finish with aplomb – a powerful overhead kick giving the Whites a hard-fought share of the points.

Match Highlights

About Author

Privacy Preference Center

Close your account?

Your account will be closed and all data will be permanently deleted and cannot be recovered. Are you sure?